Back to home page

Frequently Asked Questions

    Who may use Special Collections?
Special Collections is open to students, faculty, staff and the greater research community.

    What are the hours of operation?
We are open for researchers Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Other exceptions will be posted on our website's general information page.

    May I make an appointment to come in?
Yes, researchers are encouraged to make appointments to use materials held by Special Collections. Making arrangements at least 24 hours in advance in advance ensures we will be able to assist you and efficiently retrieve materials for your research. Please go to Special Collections' home page to do so.

    Where is Special Collections located?
Special Collections is located in Room 002 on the lower level of the Ablah Library building on the Wichita State University campus. View a floor guide of the Library. Ablah Library is situated near the center of the campus, and its entrance faces west. View a map of the campus.

    Is parking available?
Yes. Researchers who do not have WSU parking permits please view visitor parking regulations.

    May I check out items from Special Collections?
No. All items must be used in the Reading Room during Special Collections' business hours. The items do not circulate.

    May I make photocopies?
The staff in Special Collections will make photocopies of items for research use only if the items can withstand the stress of copying. We reserve the right to limit the number of copies made for any patron. Every effort will be made to respond promptly to requests; however, requests for large quantities of photocopies will require special arrangements. There is a charge for photocopies.

    How does Special Collections acquire materials?
Special Collections acquires materials through purchase by endowed funds and donations from alumni and friends of the University.

    Can you tell me how much my old book, etc., is worth?
Special Collections cannot provide appraisals of any materials. We can provide reference books for you to determine how much similar items have been offered for as well as names of area book dealers and manuscript appraisers who may be able to assist you for a fee.

    What comprises the University Archives?
The University Archives are the non-current records that document the development and growth of Fairmount College, University of Wichita and Wichita State University. The papers of past presidents, administrators and distinguished faculty, publications by and about the University, catalogs, photographs, student newspapers, and the yearbooks comprise the holdings. They date from 1895 to the present.

    Do you have the syllabus from a course I once took?
Special Collections does not have syllabi from courses taught at WSU, University of Wichita or Fairmount College. We have copies of undergraduate course catalogs dating from the 1895 to the present, and graduate catalogs from 1926 to the present.

    I work on campus and need assistance with records retention. Can you help me?
Please consult the state's Record Retention Schedule. If you have other questions, please contact Special Collections.

Top | Contact us | Special Collections home page