Snyder Ice Cream Company Collection
|| Snyder Ice Cream Company
||0.25 linear feet
||Purchased from C. D. Coffey
||JLY, 1-2001; MN, 12-21-2011
Literary rights were not granted to Wichita State
University. When permission is granted to examine the manuscripts, it is
not an authorization to publish them. Manuscripts cannot be used for publication
without regard for common law literary rights, copyright
laws and the laws of libel. It is the responsibility of the researcher
and his/her publisher to obtain permission to publish. Scholars and students
who eventually plan to have their work published are urged to make inquiry
regarding overall restrictions on publication before initial research.
The collection consists of photographs,
newspaper clippings, and business documents all relating to the Snyder Ice
Cream Company, Wichita, Kansas.
The Snyder Ice Cream Company
was established by William H. Snyder in Wichita in 1912. The company was
initially housed at 145 South Rock Island before moving to 211 South Washington
in 1918 and then 307-09 West Murdock in 1929. The plant on West Murdock
was designed by Wichita architect Glen H. Thomas and was razed in 1971 in
an urban renewal project. The company ceased operations by 1951.
Detailed Description: Series Listing
||Box 1 FF 1-2
||Photographs. The files in this series contain photographs of Snyder Ice Cream Company employees, buildings, and machinery.
||Box 1 FF 3
||Scrapbook. The file in this series contains a scrapbook which consists of photographs and clippings.
||Box 1 FF 4
||Newspaper Clippings. The file in this series contains assorted newspaper clippings about the company.
||Box 1 FF 5-7
||Business Documents. The files in this series contain business agreements, company reports, and court orders.
||Box 1 FF 8
||Artifact. The file in this series contains a small emblem with Snyder logo, possibly for stamping or printing purposes.
||Oversized. This series contains oversized documents about the company.
Detailed Description: Box and Folder Listing
Series 1 ‒ Photographs
and white 8 x 10 inch photographs: Factory workers standing in front
of office; Snyder Ice Cream Company building with delivery cars
parked in front, Arctic Ice and Refrigerating Company can be seen
in background; factory machinery (2); factory workers in factory
with ice buckets; Snyder Ice Cream Company building, corner lot
with cars parked in front, 1930; unidentified portrait.
and white photographs: Pint size box container of Snyder's Vanilla
Ice Cream (2); pint size tub container of Snyder's Ice Cream (2);
Snyder's milkman with delivery truck; milkman making delivery on
porch (3-1/2 x 5-1/2 inch; all others are 5 x 7s).
Series 2 ‒ Scrapbook
The following pages are attached to the binder: Photograph of factory
exterior; photograph of factory interior; copies of Milk and Dairy
Inspector Reports for the Department of Public Welfare, 1931; copy
of clipping from Wichita Eagle, March 8, 1931; clippings pasted
to Snyder letterhead, May 6, 1931, July 18, 1931, and January 3,
1932. The following items were found loose inside the binder cover:
Clippings attached to Snyder letterhead, January 3, 1932, May 6,
1931, September/October (no year given), July 18, 1931, July/August
(no year given); 5 x 7 inch black and white advertisement for Snyder
Ice Cream; 7 x 11 inch advertisement for Snyder dairy products.
Series 3 ‒ Newspaper
clippings concerning Snyder Ice Cream company, mainly undated.
Series 4 ‒ Business
Agreement between Snyder Ice Cream Company and Bob-O-Lea Dairy for
purchase of Bob-O-Lea Dairy by Snyder, September, 1936; Personal
Property Bills of Sale for vehicles purchased by Snyder Ice Cream
Company from Bob-O-Lea Dairy as part of September 1936 agreement;
unsigned agreement between Snyder Ice Cream Company and Western
Pure Milk Products, February, 1930.
reports: Reports by auditor to be used for granting credit or insurance,
December 1931 and December 1944.
orders: W. H. Lassen (for Garland H. Lichty, deceased) vs. C. M.
Beachy (for Snyder Ice Cream Company) about transfer of Lichty stock,
October 1941; transfer of Cyrus M. Beachy stock, January 1946; correspondence
from John D. McEwen to W. H. Snyder regarding transfer of Beachy
stock, January 18, 1946.
Series 5 ‒ Artifact
2 x 1-2/3 inch metal rectangle with "Snyder's Milk & Ice
Cream Phone 43367" etched in reverse. Possibly for stamping
and/or printing purposes.
Series 6 ‒ Oversized
clippings: Wichita Beacon, June 12, 1921, p. C-6, with article and
photographs about Snyder company operations; Wichita Eagle, June
16, 1929, p.11, with congratulation announcements for Snyder Ice
Cream upon completion of new plant; large section of Wichita Beacon,
June 16, 1929, with notice of new Snyder plant, article and photographs,
p. 9-11-A. Broadside advertising coloring contest sponsored by Snyder
Ice Cream Company, n.d.